Friday, May 22, 2009

Knights Move To the Fourth Round

Brandon Denton tried to act like Nolan Ryan and struck out the first six batters. Denton goes the distance and strike out ten and allows only three hits leading the way as Northern Nash advances to round four of the NCHSAA 3-A baseball playoffs with a 7-0 whipping of Western Guilford.

Tyler Clark tried to do his Alex Rodriquez imitation as he went 4-4 including a three run homer and a two run double and added two singles for good measure.

Northern awaits the winner of the Webb/South Granville game and I will let you know when I find out. If Webb wins Northern travels there Tuesday. If South Granville wins Northern will host them on Tuesday.

The news is not good for Fike as they ran into a hornets nest in West Brunswick losing 16-4.

In the you need to know column Eastern Wayne got a walk off home run in the eighth inning to beat South Central 4-3.

I must tell you what I have heard of the sports banquet last night. I told you last night I had to leave early so I was not there for the big awards and the special presentation that was a surprise for everyone.

The booster club presented Grant Wilson's family a framed wrestling Jersey. I hear the tears were flowing by all as his family was there to receive it. Since this was the first dinner that Rocky Mount has had for the sports awards this tribute to Grant made the whole evening very special.

The Male and Female athletes of the year were:

Brian Goodwin and Erika Wesonga.

The Juan Chesson Sportsmanship award was won by:

Chris Pittman.

The scholastic Athletes of the year were:

Erika Wesonga and Richard Deans

I think the sports banquet was a big hit and would love to see it again next year.






No comments: