Thursday, June 2, 2011

T Berry Rips Post 102

Before I start talking about tonight's game I must tell you of an anniversary that just past for me.  I don't remember the exact date but I do remember that it was on a Saturday before Memorial day 1961.  My Father as a Legionnaire in Ahoskie was helping drive Post 102 players to their first game of the year in Benson.

Eight years old at the time I rode the hump in the front seat with four players and my dad driving.  Once in Benson the team went in a dressing room not at the ball park to dress and while waiting for the players to come out load up and drive to the ball park, Albert Vaughn the Legion Coach for Post 102 ask me if I wanted to drag the bats.  I had no idea what drag the bats meant but he quickly explained to be "to be the bat boy"  'Yes Sir' I said and that started a five year run as Post 102 bat boy.

The top of the ninth came and trailing 4-1 I started packing up the catcher's equipment since we were bout to lose the game.  Coach Vaughn who was coaching third and our dugout was on third base line walked over to me and said "unpack the equipment, never give up on a game until it is over".  You can best better bet that I have never given up on any game since until the last out was made or the clock expired.

Ironically tonight as close as possible to my 50th anniversary of that day Post 102 is in Rocky Mount and Thomas Berry  was in a zone all batters want to be in.  His first at bat he hit a solo home run to dead center field that  tied the game in the first at one.  The second time around Berry hit blast that went under the scoreboard at Nash Central that gave Post 58 a 4-2 lead.

The third at bat Berry hit a shot that landed about two feet from clearing the fence for his third homer but he settled for a double.  His last  at bat was a simple line drive base hit to right.  Berry's four hits led the way as Post 58 pounds Ahoskie Post 102 15-3 in seven innings.

Khalil Macklin supplied three hits while Fuller Weatherly and  Lucas Bayless had two hits each.  Rocky Mount's  14 hits  all together came from singles by John Naylor, Jeremy Lucas and Tyler Wooten.

Chase Johnson got the complete game for Post 58 going seven innings and allowing 6 hits and struck out eight  batters.  Any time regardless of the length of the game getting a complete game saves your pitching staff as Post 58 has four games in the next five days.  They will not be back home until Tuesday night  when they host North Raleigh.

Tonight's win gets Post 58 above five hundred for the first time this year at 4-3 but as far as Area Standings they are 2-0 in the East Area. having beaten Ahoskie twice this week.

Got a chance to see some old friends especially Ken Dilday the fire chief in Ahoskie.  His Grandmother and my Grandfather Doughtie married each other when they were both over 65.  Ever since the Dildays and Doughties  have been like family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The post 58 pitcher that had the complete game against post 102 was Chase Johnson. Thanks for the site. I enjoy reading your posts.