Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Way It Ought To Be

Saturday was the fourth graduation that I have attended at Rocky Mount High in the last 12 years.  As I told you on this blog earlier that Principal Farrow had not only sent out letters to each parent but twice the week phone messages had be sent to warn students and parents that the graduation would  done in a dignified and respectful manner.  I am sure that every other high school had done the same.

I find that there is only two things missing from public education Prayer and discipline.  Today is not the day we will debate prayer. There were rumors that there had been people removed from some of the other graduations as the day went by for disruptive actions and if those rumors were true then by 3.45PM everybody was in place at RMHS after being told no one would be allowed in the gym not there by 3.50.  During the walks across  the stage every child had his moment and his family was able to watch without disruption.

I think yesterday is a perfect example of when discipline is used it will work.  Public education has fallen into the trap that we will talk big but the first time someone threatens a lawsuit we will back down.  There should never be a back down when you are right.  There should never be a back down when it comes to doing the right thing and the right thing is to educate our children to be useful citizens in this world.

Since I have not been to to every graduation every year I can only speak about what I saw yesterday compared to others.  Yesterday's graduation is the way it should be. Regardless of who's idea in Central Office or  at RMHS or any other school within the system I applaud the way graduation went down.

I have even told you of how please I was with Leon Farrow since he has finished up his first four years with this class.  He told a private story of his seven month old child that had died and if he had lived would have graduated yesterday.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.  We were able to hear the story because there was no disruptions around all of us.

Our country has lost track of the right way to live.  I have the up most respect that people can do anything they want to do as long as it doesn't effect others in a harmful way.  Yesterday's graduation was a step in the right direction.

No comments: