Sunday, September 9, 2012

Forgive Me Fore I Have Sinned

I don't know how many games I have ever seen in Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh over my life time but Saturday I did something that I have never done before.  I think it was 1959 or 1960 the first time I went inside the hay barn called the home of the Wolfpack.  My dad and his friends had loaded up a car and we drove to Raleigh from Ahoskie to watch the Big Four play basketball.  It was called the Dixie Classic.

That day I pulled for all four teams from North Carolina.  All I knew was four teams from out of this world had come to Reynolds to show our boys from North Carolina that they knew nothing about basketball.   As a six or seven year old boy I don't even remember who those teams were that thought they could teach us how to play basketball.

Over time I fell in love with the Wolfpack and Duke and Wake and Carolina had to take a backseat in my life.  Yes today I did something in the house of the Grey Fox, House of David Thompson and the house of Jim Valvano.  I pulled against the Wolfpack.

Clad in an orange tee shirt with Campbell Volleyball on our chest Pat and I didn't know whether to hide or cry as we entered the building. I told coach Leigh Mullins of Campbell that  she had no idea how it was for me to be in this building in this tee shirt.

I don't know if we were punished for wearing such colors or not but the Pack stung tne Camels 25-11-25-15 and 25 19. Afterwords we ran into coach Kelly Harper the Wolfpack Women's basketball coach and I told her of our plight of wearing orange on this day as if I needed to explain it to her. Thankfully this is the only time this year the two teams face off.

This past Thursday the Technician the official newspaper of N C State ran an article on the state of the Triathlon program.  It interviewed Brooks Doughtie their coach as well as some of the runners as today in Williamsburg Virginia State's Tri team competes for the first time with a coach.

The NCAA is still considering the options of making Tri an official NCAA sport.  The Technician has a quote of the day for someone within their paper that day.  They used a quote Brooks had given them when they interviewed him.  "I want to get a team atmosphere going instead of a bunch of indiviuals racing for N C State."

No comments: