Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pinehurst Not The Course I Remember

The next two weeks North Carolina and in particular Pinehurst is the golfing capital of the world.  You have to give the USGA credit to bring an Open to a golf course where all the USGA knows about what it is going to look like is a blue print trying to restore the old course to the way it was built in 1905.

The last time I was at Pinehurst was 1991 during the end of year championship where only the top 30 players were entered.  Then it had been remodeled and the small greens, you could hardly hold your ball on the green and if it rolled off you were in deep rough.  The old timers on tour complained that as a modern course it was an unfair course.  Please bring it back to the way Donald Ross built it.  It took 23 years to happen but as I watched ESPN's coverage it looked like the black and white photos that I have seen from 1914.

I have never played Pinehurst.  So I can only marvel at the shots made this weekend and next during the Woman's Open.  Back during the 70's when it cost $50 dollars to play the course I thought the cost for me was too high then and now when it cost 200 or more I just think it is too far to drive spend that kind of money and think if you spend the night there.  I will just be happy that maybe one of the greatest golf course in the world I live in driving distance of the course.

I will watch with pride that within the confines of Tobacco Road the Mecca of college basketball has one of the greatest golf courses in world.  I will be pulling for Phil, Webb Simpson and any golfer that has anything to do with North Carolina.

Coleman Pitt Post 58 was heading to Apex tonight for their third straight night of baseball.  I was in Raleigh and while heading toward Rocky Mount about 5pm I could see in my rear view mirror a huge cloud which hit the Triangle and Apex and the game was rained out.  As of right now no makeup date has been schedule. CP 58 has a week off now since this is Nash County School System's weekend for high school graduation no games are scheduled until next Wednesday when Garner comes back to Rocky mount.

Those of you that went Wednesday to the Garner game they are called Garner National.  Post 232 in Garner is not supporting this team so the coaches have held tryouts and are playing as an  open team.  Their next problem is they have no home field because Wake County Schools charge team 150 dollars an hour to rent any high school field.   I can assure you there is not many Legion teams east of I-85 that sell enough tickets to pay the rent much less add the umpire fees.

The old time Legion guys that support baseball are dying off and the younger guys don't care for baseball like the old timers do so as you look around the east not only are select teams taking players from Legion these new summer scholastic leagues are all so taking away players and with it a way of life in summers  past is dying in our area.


No comments: