Sunday, March 20, 2016

ACC Dominance

Duke has once again made it to the sweet 16 under coach K.  Despite how short handed they might be  K is the most tactical coach alive.  There is of course a limit to how far coaching can push a team that is short handed.  I doubt the Devils survive next weekend.

The mystery of the Virginia Cavaliers continues.  The first half against Butler the Cavs scored but 23 points to trail by two.  The second half they scored 54  to best Butler by eight.  To me Virginia has five guys that can handle the ball and when they attack the basket they are awesome on offense.   I can't see any reason now that Michigan State is gone that Virginia will not win twice next weekend.

This mixed up tournament the ACC has Miami in the Sweet 16.  Their road block could be Villanova if Nova survives Sunday.  The way this tournament has gone surviving to play another game has been interesting.  Arizona already out of the way Miami still has Kansas the top seed and Nova number two ahead.

Carolina played both games in Raleigh just the way they needed to.  They took the best shot that both Florida Gulf Coast and Providence had and kept their foot on the gas.  Carolina's defense has been much better over the past three weeks and they are of course excellent on offense.  Next week in Philadelphia they have Indiana.  That will be tough but I see the Heels winning twice next week.

This weekend Roy Williams passed Dean Smith as the second winningest coach in NCAA tournament history.  Carolina is heading to the 27th Sweet 16 the NCAA record.

The ACC sent seven teams to the tournament.  Through Saturday night  the conference is 10-1 overall.  They have four of the eight teams in the Sweet Sixteen so far and can get two more on Sunday.  This is just maybe the best year ever for the ACC but it will not finish up as the best if one of the teams does win the title.  The ACC has sent two to the final four several times but they have never had three.  This could be their best chance ever.

I know many of you  have money in some bracket some where as  I have three locally.  I think we all guess and hope we pick the right game when the upsets occur.  The way I do mine is my first bracket is my first impression once I see the brackets.  My second one I flip the games that I call tossup games.  There were eight of those.  My third bracket is my wild one when I pick the underdogs who just might win one game and I had eight of those.  My problem this year was when I have missed a game I missed on all three brackets.  Never had that problem before.

No comments: