Monday, May 29, 2017

Time To Say Goodbye

My vision when I was 25 years old of retirement was I would play 18 holes of golf every day that I wanted to and would go see the grand kids when ever we wanted.  Today I don't even own a set of golf clubs.  The closer I get to that wonderful words Social Security Benefits the less I want to retire.  Yet I find my life busier today than ever before.

There was a time when Charles Aslston was riding with me when doing games on the radio and he had his Gryphons Grapevine.  I talked him in letting me do a commentary about once a week on his blog.

I have always tried to be positive with every comment  I have ever said.  One of the first comments on the Gryphons Grapevine was the year Terrell Hudgins won the North Carolina NCHSAA Male athlete of the year. There was a baseball game with Rocky Mount and Northern Nash at Northern that night and Terrell and the Rocky Mount group who went with Terrell were late getting back that night.  Northern delayed the game until he was able to get back from receiving the award in Chapel Hill.


  • Northern did not have to do that but that was a true act of sportsmanship well worth pointing out.


I can't remember all the state championships I have covered and didn't pay to see it.  I have truly been blessed.

I find it hard to believe that teenage boy that had trouble finding the words to call up or look at girls and ask for dates has become this loud mouth that I have become because radio taught me to project.  I use to have trouble that every mistake I made troubled me but in order to continue you have to keep going.  If you keep going those listening may not even know you made a mistake.

Has it all been worth while?  Pat and I were in Wal-Mart one day standing in line and a lady behind me in line asked me if I was the man that did the games on TV.  She said to me thank you So much for what you do.  I am too old and to slow to go to the games and you covered my grandson who goes to SouthWest Edgecombe and you were doing their football game.  I was able to watch him play and you even talked about him. I want to thank you for letting me watch him play.

I had a tear in my eye as we walked to the car but I was ready to go find another game to do.  I hope what I have done had been a blessing to someone whether it was this blog or any radio or TV.  It is time for me to slow down.  You may not believe this but working a full time job and then going to do a game on radio,TV or PA is work.

Today  will be my last blog.  Once little league baseball ends in a couple of weeks I will no longer do radio or TV.  I hope if they will continue to have me that I keep doing North Carolina Wesleyan football and basketball PA and Rocky Mount high baseball.

I have so  many to thank who have feed me information in order to give you information that I have used on this blog.  It is a network of people indeed.

I hope we will see each other at a ball game and that's the way It is Monday May 29th 2017

3 comments:

Gryphon 86 said...

Sorry to hear that you will not be posting anymore Tony. Have thoroughly enjoyed your blogs over the years and keeping up with Gryphon sports. It will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Dad, you are the "pro's pro", nothing but professional and excellence. People like myself who are out of town use this blog to feel like we were there at RM and area high schools. The people of RM are better because people like yourself cared enough to work hard at providing some uplifting daily information. Whether winning or losing, you provided great entertainment and info for the fans. The town was fortunate to have the pleasure of knowing what it was like from the press box.

-Brooks

Wes Bradshaw said...

I'm sure Charles Alston could find a grammatical error or 2, but it's been a hell of a run my friend. Thank you for all you did in training and helping this loose cannon over the years. It was a privilege and an honor to work beside you.....