Saturday, September 26, 2015

Brings Back Memories

First of all found out something about this blog Friday night that I didn't know. My regular Friday blog during football season is my guesses about college football.   I wrote it earlier in the week and saved it to use on Friday.  Since Rocky Mount  moved their game to Thursday night I wrote about the game Thursday night.  Some time Thursday I accidentally hit the publish button and for a couple of minutes my college picks were on line.  When I discovered it I took it off line and after the few  Friday night games were over I added the scores to the college picks and hit publish.  I guess since it was originally published  Thursday my college football guesses are before the Rocky Mount game report. I think I have learned that I had better watch what button I touch on any report that I have done ahead of time.

Now let's turn the clock back to memories.  Friday night not many schools in the area were brave enough to slosh through the rain but Southern Nash did.  You all know I spent a lifetime doing play by play of Ahoskie High and through 1992 Hertford County.  HC played Southern Nash in the 3-A  playoffs two years in a row back in the ninety's.

They met each other for the first time in 1990 in Ahoskie and the Firebirds won 37-21.  The very next year on a night just like last night they met in the playoffs at Southern Nash.  As I recall the rain was worse in fact at the coin toss the Football Friday camera crew which were at mid field to show the toss put the camera on the feet of the players and their shoes were under water.

It turned out to be a classic game as Southern Nash won again 18-14 and they held Hertford late in the game from scoring.  So I know because I was  there that night that Southern Nash loves to play in the mud and it worked again last night.

It is funny how you remember things but earlier in the day at that point in my life I sold mobile telephones and pagers and I had been in the woods in the middle of Northampton County where we had installed a telephone on a log truck. By late morning on the way to Halifax Road just outside Dortches to show a customer how to operate his new cell phone  going through Weldon on highway 301 I was shot by a BB gun.

Yes that's right it was about 95 degrees that day an as I'm riding through Weldon my passenger side window blows up.  I thought maybe it was so hot that my window exploded.  I stopped by the road to figure out what happened and realized that I had been hit in my right rib.  Since I was going down 301 toward Halifax I stopped at the Sheriffs office and told those folks something had happened to me and I don't know what.

I thought that a piece of glass had hit me when the glass shattered an my skin had produced one drop of blood but nothing had entered me.  The deputy got on his hands and knees as sifted through the glass which was all over my car.  He found a slug which could be shot from a BB gun.

So later that night after driving on in to Rocky Mount with a passenger side window blown out helping a new customer with a phone drove back to Ahoskie only to return to do play by play in a rain storm at Southern Nash.

So every time I see Southern Nash play  in a sloppy field it brings back to me a day  out of my past which includes The Firebirds and a busted window and what a trooper I was with a band aide on my right rib to let everyone know back home a playoff football game.

No comments: